As a Product Manager, there have been a few instances when I missed out putting things down on paper.
And later regretted that! I don’t want the same to happen to you.
Few instances where I screwed up: 1) Publishing the notes / minutes of a meeting where a wireframe was discussed and approved by the consumers. 2) Discussed a small requirement with the engg team but did not put that into the PRD. 3) Discussed, a success / release criteria but did not put that in the plan.
When you put things down on paper / email –
- The communication/ message gets a date to it.
- The written message becomes an evidence of a communication that happened.
- Drives clarity and forces people to come onto the same page if they are not w.r.t a decision / process.
- Clearly calls out the people responsible for any action items and the expected timelines. (at least a good note does that)
- Also, clearly admits any open items.
This is a BIG DEAL for organizations / people who deal with a lot of people./ or with people who tend to forget things.